After Root Canal Treatment
What Should I Expect Following Root Canal Treatment
- It is not uncommon for a tooth to be uncomfortable or even exhibit a dull ache immediately after receiving root canal therapy. This should subside within a few days.
- Your tooth will be sensitive to biting pressure and may even appear to feel loose. This feeling is a result of the sensitivity / inflammation of nerve-endings and surrounding tissue just outside the end of the root(s) that were treated. This is normal and will become progressively more comfortable within a few days.
- You may feel a rough area (on the top surface of a back tooth or on the back surface of a front tooth), where the access was made and sealed with a temporary filling. The temporary filling seals and protects the root canal treatment from becoming contaminated and re-infected between appointments. If the filling comes out or sinks down in the tooth it is important to contact our office to replace the filling to ensure the root canal therapy remains protected.
- A small percentage of patients may experience severe post-treatment pain and / or swelling in the area that was treated. If this occurs, please call our office immediately so we may address this problem.
What Should I Do Following Root Canal Treatment
- We recommend that you take an analgesic medication, as directed, for pain-relief within one hour of leaving our office to allow the medication to be effective before the anesthesia administered begins to subside. Generally only a single dose is required; however, some people may require pain relieving medication over the next several days.
- Dr. Wilson may prescribe a prescription pain reliever and / or antibiotic for your use and will advise you on the appropriate use of these medications.
- Avoid chewing on the affected tooth until your root canal therapy is complete and a permanent protective restoration, usually a crown, has been placed on your tooth. This is to avoid damage to the tooth.
- If your tooth requires placement of a protective restoration we will inform you of this and recommend that you contact your dentist’s office to have your tooth restored within 2-4 weeks following completion of your root canal therapy.
- You may continue your regular dental hygiene regimen.
NOTE: Alcohol intake is not advised while taking any pain-relieving medications.