Non-Surgical Root Canal Retreatment
With the appropriate care, your teeth that have had root canal treatment will last as long as other natural teeth. Yet, as with any dental or medical procedure, a tooth may not heal as expected or pain may continue to exist. Sometimes, the pain may occur months or years after treatment.
Retreatment is the procedure performed to re-clean and disinfect the root of a tooth that has already received root canal treatment.
Improper healing may be caused by:
- Curved or narrow canals that were not adequately treated during the initial root canal treatment.
- Complicated canals that went undetected during the initial root canal treatment.
- The crown or restoration did not protect and prevent saliva and bacteria from contaminating the inside of the tooth.
In some cases, new problems can influence a tooth that was successfully treated:
- New decay can contaminate and cause new infection of a tooth.
- A cracked or loose filling or crown can expose the tooth to new infection.
At Valley Endodontics & Implant Dentistry Dr. Wilson uses state of the art technologies to provide the highest standards in care to achieve the highest potential for successful treatment. We utilize the surgical operating microscope, 3-Dimensional CBCT imaging, ultrasonic and NiTi instrumentation to identify, access and treat previously untreated or undertreated canals in an infected tooth. In addition, we utilized advanced irrigation and disinfection protocols and technology such as intracanal medication protocols, EndoVac Negative Pressure Irrigation, and GentleWave Irrigation Technology to achieve the highest levels or root canal cleaning and disinfection.